Squatting is such an important exercise to master when you are pregnant.
It is 100% safe throughout your three trimesters and can be practiced using a variety of different equipment and positions.
THE BENEFITS OF SQUATTING
1. Increase Pelvic Floor and TVA strength
- The correct firing pattern of the muscles when squatting should always involve PFM and TVA to stabilize the pelvis
- Holding a squat is a good place to practice PFM engagement when the muscles are stretched
- It’s also a good place to do your third trimester reverse breathing
2. Prevent Back & Pelvic Pain
- Strengthening the butt and hamstrings will help to decrease lower back and pelvic pain.
- Strengthening these muscles helps to stabilize the pelvis and support the unstable SI joint
- Strong butt and legs prevents pain, which is often caused by ligaments loosening due to pregnancy hormones relaxin and progesterone
3. Great exercise if you are suffering from SI Joint or pubic bone pain/Pubic Symphysis Dysfunction
- SI Joint pain can be painful and if this occurs you are no longer able to do any single leg work
- Squatting relieves the pain by balancing the pelvis and strengthens the legs and butt at the same time.
- There is a huge variety of squatting exercises so you can do so you can't complain of boredom!
3. Preparation for labor
- Squats can help prepare the body labor and childbirth
- The exercise mirrors positions you can hold to not only to aid the pain of contractions but also with gravity, help the baby move down deeper into the pelvis - making the pelvic opening wider for the baby to eventually pass through
4. Stronger legs for postnatal period
- Practicing a variety of squats will gives much needed strength for the postpartum period – pushing a stroller, carrying, rocking your new baby
- You will be doing SO many squats with a new baby and toddler so learning how to do it right is super important.
5. A great looking butt!
- Isn’t that what we all want!!
Check out this great prenatal squat workout.